Redesigning Blog Templates
I just stumbled across a useful page for those wanting to give their blog a bit of a design overhaul - it’s a blog tutorial on Blog Templates using Photoshop. In it they talk about how to design header banners/logos, give photos borders, make button etc. They also give a lot of useful links to help in the process.
Top Ten Blog Design Mistakes
1. No Author Biographies - I’m amazed that so many blogs don’t have any information about who is the behind them. Not essential information but common sense in my books to be transparent enough to tell people who you are.
2. No Author Photo - for me this is not a must - but it does add something personal to a blog.
3. Nondescript Posting Titles
4. Links Don’t Say Where They Go - I agree - it also helps with SEO to use make links more descriptive
5. Classic Hits are Buried - So true - highlight your best posts or they’ll go unseen after dropping from the front page
6. The Calendar is the Only Navigation - has anyone ever used a calendar to navigate a blog or is it just me who avoids them?
7. Irregular Publishing Frequency - again something I’ve written quite a bit about. It’s not about high or low posting frequency - but regular posting. Find your rhythm and stick to it.
8. Mixing Topics - Stick to you niche
9. Forgetting That You Write for Your Future Boss - so true. Once you hit publish you lose control over who will ever see what you write. Be careful.
10. Having a Domain Name Owned by a Weblog Service - the quote of this article is ‘Letting somebody else own your name means that they own your destiny on the Internet.’ So true.